Monday, September 5, 2011

The past five hours

These past five hours, I dug a dry well
deep into the black loam.  I knew an author
couldn't leave their protagonist so far in the soil.

I heard a vice president tell twenty-seven
weary new captains the half-congratulations of
"I know you didn't mean your career to go this way."

I heard fifty thousand say "I don't mind the pay cuts,
and the days of commuting, but no one's on our side."
So I'll claim you as characters in this story, I'll save you.

Wake up, this is your first act!
Where is your desperation
when you are known?

Before I cashed this morning's check,
my nose bled.  I saw my warm life course away,
and everything was first-person.

It took two hands on my shoulders to turn me back.
It took twenty-one years before I said,
"here is freedomI dispossess myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment