Saturday, September 24, 2011

When I awoke

When I awoke,
   a gold hair wrapped around my ear,
      across my neck, and into my mouth.
I had half a mind
   to wind it around a house key and say
      "Here's the rest of you, come back and see me."
Instead, I shook peace
   over breakfast with a spoonful of cinnamon
      and lay down in the grass to doze again.
So I dreamt
   of the Argonaut and a fleece, I set
      full sails and flung my sheets starboard.

When I awoke,
   the story was unwrapped over me,
      and I laughed with my new purpose.
I found you
   on a porch swing and we were lifted
      into the open sea all morning.
I said, "I have no idea
   where my retold odyssey will lead,
      but I love this Ithaca."
You leaned back
   to rest your head, "Ithaca
      also must travel."

No comments:

Post a Comment